Username is required
Password is required
  • October 24, 2020

Athletics Canada withdraws competitors from Half Marathon Championships in Poland

Athletics Canada has withdrawn 5 athletes deliberate to symbolize the nation this weekend on the 2020 World Athletics Half Marathon Championships in Gdynia, Poland.

The sports activities group informed it made the decision after an inner dialogue with the “well being and security of [its] athletes, coaches, workers and volunteers in thoughts,” in a media launch Tuesday.

“We merely can’t justify placing our athletes, coaches and workers in hurt’s method,” Athletics Canada stated. The group pointed towards the sharp enhance of COVID-19 instances in Poland as a motive for the withdrawal.

Check BetRegal.com and find the best online betting site.

Whereas Athletics Canada says it is assured that World Athletics and the native organizing committee have been doing “all the things doable to guard members,” it “noticed too many dangers that no person could possibly be anticipated to regulate.”

Representing Canada have been athletes Rachel Cliff, Justin Kent, Ben Preisner, Philippe Parrot-Migas and Thomas Toth.

Olympic-bound Trevor Hofbauer was additionally named to the workforce, however withdrew as a consequence of harm.

The championships had been arranged earlier within the yr on March 29, however was rescheduled to Oct. 17 as a result of COVID-19 pandemic.

Simon Nathan, Athletics Canada’s excessive efficiency director, stated he is aware of the decision was disappointing information, however was made with the workforce’s well being and security at coronary heart.

The varied dangers, in response to Dr. Paddy McCluskey, Athletics Canada’s chief medical officer, included flying and transfers inside airports; whether or not people would comply to the protection protocols; and having the athletes be in publicly-accessed frequent areas like lodge lobbies and customary eating areas.

Get all the latest Betting and Sport News updates on your social media outlet. Find us on Twitter

“We felt it was prudent to not expose our workforce to these dangers,” he stated.

Steve Carr

Read Previous

Top clubs threatened to quit Premier League, says FA Chief

Read Next

Ronaldo returns to Italy to finish Covid isolation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *